Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We're Here!

Well we made it to Austin. We've had a few setbacks but overall the move went rather well. I didn't take any pictures of the actual move but I managed to take a few in our first week or so here. I'll use those to talk through our time here thus far.



Sherry and the girls came for one last Lufkin visit the day before we moved. The kids had a blast playing and Sherry was a huge help in packing up a few last things. Brooke had gone to town with Aaron during our little photo session & I didn't think to get one of the whole gang before they headed home.

The kids in their new rom with their new beds. Their beds ended up being a lot larger than we anticipated but they are enjoying their room nonetheless. Their room was also the first room to be decorated and I'll update with pics later on.


We had Bruce (Brusier), Kim and Ragan over for dinner our first Friday here and the kids quickly won them over. By the end of the night, they had convinced Ragan to read them a few books.



The kids' sleeping arrangements during our night without electricity (thanks again TXU). They were SO hot, SO tired and SO sweet!


The kids wrote their first words this week. Aidan's first word was actually "poop". He unintentionally wrote it while writing p's, o's and a's. A couple days later, he was writing "pa" on everything and I decided to see if he could write "poppa". Then of course Hannah wanted to try as well and did a great job too.

A couple days later, Aidan wowed me yet again. I was cleaning and he called me over to see that he had written "cat" all by himself on the chalkboard. Then he wanted to write "dog" as well. The kids LOVE a cartoon on PBS called Word World where all the animals and objects' bodies are made up of the letters that spell out what they are. When we were at Target a few days ago, we found these (see the dog on top of the easel) Word World animals on clearance. We bought the kids cat, cow, dog & pig and these toys are what prompted Aidan to write "dog" and "cat". He studied the letters on the toys for a bit and then walked over and wrote out the words on his easel. I was SO proud and really can't wait to start "school" at the end of August.

The kids also helped me with a little art/decor project. I had them paint little canvases which we then put their handprints and names on. I finished them off with a little black ribbon around the edges to hide the staples. I'll include finished pics when I do the house tour post.

We've had a busy couple of weeks between unpacking, shopping, decorating and getting settled and I am definitely looking forward to things slowing down a bit. The kids seem to love it here and have adjusted so well to the transtition. Our prayer now is that the Lord leads us to a good church home and that our family can be a light for Him in our new surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment