Friday, September 4, 2009

Patient

"Be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

This week has been a learning experience for all of us. Patience is something everyone struggles with, especially me. I've gotten compliments and comments on my ability to be patient with my kids but it truly is exahausting for me. But it's worth it to me, to give my chidlren a fair chance at figuring out how things work and how life works on their own.

Every Monday I go through the week's character trait and give the kids examples or situations. So this Monday I gave them several scenarios and asked them to tell me which person in each example was being patient or impatient. They did well with it and I expected them to, the patience talk is something we've had before. What I didn't expect was for them to begin encouraging each other to be patient in some of the very scenarios we had talked about originally. They didn't go about it in a bossy way, they genuinely seemed to want to help one another.

I don't want to give my kids the idea that I'm perfect and that everything I tell them or expect from them is just because I'm a mean ole mama who wants everything her way. I want them to understand WHY I choose to parent them they way I do. When we say our Bible verse together each week, I remind them that the words we are saying are God's words, words that He wants us to learn and remember so that we can make good choices. I also tell them that Mommy & Daddy do the things we do because one day we will be held accountable to God for the way we raised them. I'm sure that may seem like way too much information for not-quite four year olds but they really seem to grasp what I'm saying and I hope that God's Word will stick with them and be a comfort and encouragement to them as they grow up. While we're on the topic, this week brought a very proud moment for me. Hannah memorized her Bible verse!! She was talking to Nana & Poppa and I asked her if she could tell them her Bible verse if I said it with her. Well, she just started saying it all on her own and I think "in love" was the only part I had to remind her of. It was so sweet to hear her speak those words.

God is really using teaching my children to minister to me. It's such a humbling reminder each week to be aware of my actions and behaviors. I know I've said it before, but I just didn't forsee myself learning right along with them like I have. It's an incredible blessing and I'm very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment